So I harvested couple of radishes and pomegranates this morning! I guess I should have waited a few more days for the radishes, I left a few more to be harvested later. If I can only harvest radishes every 45 days, I should change the sowing plan for radishes to every 15 days; that is, essentially, every sowing day from my sowing plan.
I have grown plants from seeds, I have even managed to grow a handful out of the cuttings from the mother plant. But I have never grown a plant using the soak-drain-place in wet cloth-let it sprout method.
Sprouts of the beans
I have done this a million times to make sprout salad (with mung bean, chick pea, brown bean), but never used this method to really grow plants. As a test (or as some sort of a sowing-growing versus alternate method race), I have also sown the seeds of Cassia Fistula (Common name: Golden shower tree, Tamil: Sarakondrai) in soil and have soaked some of them in water for 24 hours and placed it in a damp cloth.
I guess this heat is taking a toll on the plants. I had four Strawberry plants last week and only two remain now. Until I get the plant’s location sorted, it is downhill on growing strawberries in Chennai 😐
As far as I know, Adenium plants have the capacity to be re-grown through cuttings of the mother plant. I tried the last time, but did not bother to take care of it well. But this time, since I had success growing my banyan plant from the mother plant’s cutting, I wanted to try the same method on Adenium as well. After a week, the bigger leaves dried away, and I just assumed the cuttings will take time and left it at that. Now I see new growth in the leaves, but no new roots. I do not want to jinx this or anything, but I am beginning to think that Adenium cuttings can sustain growing in water. Time will tell.
Old leaves shedding and new leaf formation
All the old leaves have withered, tiny new leaves forming
Remember the Ixora plants that we replanted as part of community gardening? Well, they have died a slow death! I have never known that the Ixora roots grow so deep and so far to develop new shoots. I just assumed that those smaller saplings grew from wild seeds that we did not intentionally sow! And the roots that we cut for the new plants were not enough to give them the growth the plants needed. A very expensive lesson indeed!
I am sowing seeds as part of the third sowing plan this evening. (I was out of station about the time that I was actually supposed to sow. Better late than never, I’d decided 🙂
So after two schedules of sowing seeds, my tomatoes, chillies, brinjal (Egg plant), pumpkin (One seed sprouted and I accidentally killed it, my bad!), onion, beans have not sprouted at all! Either wrong timing or bad seeds. I am not sure I should be trying the seeds from the same pack the next time around…
On the other hand, my radishes have begun to show off their beautiful ‘skins’ 🙂 Okra (Ladies Finger), and the Gourds are growing ever so beautifully!
So, here I am, back to my scheduled routine. My plants sort of survived, well, at least most did. I delegated my precious task of watering the plants to my maid and she kept her promise, and provided for most of the plants. All my saplings survived, some unfortunate flowering plants couldn’t make it to the day. But I am glad I have someone to take care of the plants while I am gone.
My roses have bloomed, so have some wild plants that I smuggled out of my MIL’s garden. It was a fragile little thing and I did not for one second believe it will survive.
Buds are yellow but bloom into white flowers!
For some reasons, all those delicate beings – I have been able to protect and care for. But some wild plants that do moderately well even in rough conditions, I have managed to kill! So I can’t really blame my maid, as she is still a novice in taking care for plants. But I need to train her more, I need a backup, I need someone to have my back!
I felt bad for losing the mommy Strawberry plant for a while. Just this morning, when I repotted the remaining plants, I realise how soggy the soil was. I’m now surprised that even these 4 plants survived the kind of soil atmosphere I subjected them to. Strawberry plants do not like ever wet soil conditions, they prefer properly drained out soil conditions. I have now moved them to pots with 75% coco peat, which will help in draining excess soil and keep the moisture, so I can water them only when needed.
Well, this is an expensive lesson learnt. I had to lose 5 plants before realising my mistake! Hope the other plants are in better place now.